Volcanoes National Park Rwanda, Attractions, Activities
Rwanda is one of the few countries in Africa gifted with elegant climate and weather with glorious peerless savannah plains, unique beautiful animals, mammals, birds for viewing and studying. Rwanda mainly has three incomparable national parks including Volcanoes National Park, Nyungwe Forest National Park, and Akagera National Park unequaled to the rest of the world. These three national parks are the breath of tourism in Rwanda, operating under the Rwanda development board with support and monitoring by the government of Rwanda.
Every national park has totally unparalleled tourism attractions, environment, weather, and magnificent world life species. According to statistics, the peerless volcanoes national park is the most visited safari park in the country and in the whole world due to its rich inimitable history of being the oldest national park in Africa. In matchless Nyungwe national park, you get to see a bunch of inimitable chimpanzees and primates which is rarely found in the region of Africa.
Why do you have to visit Volcanoes National Park?
Volcanoes national park is found in the northwest of Rwanda commonly known as a home of the endangered mountain gorilla with more mountain ecosystems which demonstrates the grassland and swampy bamboo forest.
How was it formed?
Volcanoes National park is commonly known as ‘’parc des volcano’’, named after a bunch of volcanoes making up Virunga massif at Karisimbi 4,507m above alongside Sabinyo, Gahinga, and Muhabura. Along the boundaries of this national park, you find Buhanga eco-park one of the oldest forests and Musanze curves formed back over 62 million years. Volcanoes national park is found in the northern province of Rwanda state in a place known as Musanze alongside Virunga conservational area.
When was it established?
Volcanoes national park was created far back in 1925, the first-ever national park to be demarcated and the oldest national park in Africa. Over a time, the Belgian government in the year of 1930 ordered for an additional 8000 square kilometers to volcanoes national park to make it bigger in size. After Diana Fossey, an American zoologist also fell in love with the beauty of the place and embarked on researching about tourism in the area, unfortunately, she was killed in 1985 by unknown people and buried there.
Volcanoes national park is bordered by the Democratic Republic of Congo’s most famous heritage sites called Virunga national park and Mgahinga gorilla national park. It is famous for being a haven for the endangered mountain gorillas in the land of a thousand hills (Rwanda).
How magnificent Volcanoes National Park is?
- It has exquisite Fauna and flora found inside the park
- The place is commonly known for mountain gorillas.
In the Park, you find Buffaloes of different types.
- There are Bushbucks of different species.
- You get to see different species of Hyenas.
- A number of big and energetic elephants are also found here.
Do you enjoy these splendid activities on a safari tour?
- At Volcanoes National Park Gorilla trekking is the most popular activity.
- There’s climbing to the top of Karisimbi.
- There is golden monkey tracking and visitors always make sure they don’t miss out to check on the unfound beautiful twins’ lakes of Burera and Ruhondo.
- All these and more activities are found at volcanoes national park for visitors to enjoy their safaris.
When do you have to visit Volcanoes Park?
The place has a conducive climate and weather compared to other places in the world. Visitors are kindly advised to arrange their safari journeys during December and towards the end of February and also at the end of May and September to late September.
Where are volcano national parks?
- Volcanoes national park is located at Kininga, in Ruhengeri, Rwanda.
What are the accommodations near Volcanoes Park?
- Red Rocks – located at Nyakinama
- Amahoro Guest House – located at Ruhengeri RD.
- Amarembo Gorilla Village – located in the north. province in Kigali City.
- Singita Kwitonde Lodge – located at Ruhengeri.
- Tiloreza Volcanoes Ecolodge.
- Governor’s Camp – Sibyona silverback lodge.
- Five Volcanoes Boutique Hotel.
- Virunga Lodge.
- Musaze Caves Hotel.
- Volcano View.
- Bisate lodge.
- Musanze Caves Hotel.