Rwanda Gorilla trekking COVID-19 | Gorilla Tours in Rwanda
Rwanda gorilla trekking in 2021 amidst the COVID-19 pandemic is an experience one should plan well for, putting into consideration safety measures.
On gorilla trekking tours in Rwanda in 2021 many travelers wonder whether it is safe to go gorilla trekking. Yes, it is safe to go gorilla trekking in Rwanda in 2021 as guidelines have been set for tourists to follow in order to curb the spread of the novel coronavirus both within the tourists and from the tourists to the mountain gorillas.
Travel Guidelines for Visiting Rwanda
- All visitors are expected to test negative for COVID-19 within 72 hours prior to arrival.
- Tourists will take a second Covid-19 test prior to visiting any tourist attraction. The following options are available:
- Tourists can take the first Covid-19 RT-PCR (Real-Time Polymerase Chain Reaction) test in the country of origin at an ISO certified laboratory, 72 hours before departure and the second test will be taken upon arrival at Kigali International Airport. They are required to submit the results of the first test to the following address (firstname.lastname@example.org) before departure and also upon arrival at Kigali International Airport. They will be expected to wait 8 hours for the results of the second test at designated hotels in Rwanda. This is applicable to direct flights only.
- Tourists who are not able to test in their country of origin have the option to be tested twice in Rwanda: The first test will be taken upon arrival at Kigali International Airport while the second test will be taken 48 hours after the arrival. Tourists will only be expected to visit tourist sites after two consecutive negative tests and will wait for their results at designated hotels.
- An optional test may be provided on request at departure.
- While in the country, visitors and flight crew members are expected to abide by guidelines of the Health Ministry and specific guidelines for tourists attractions including National Parks.
- Domestic tourists visiting Nyungwe and Volcanoes National Parks are required to test negative 48 hours prior to visiting these attractions. The results should be presented at the Parks’ reception.
- A private test center has been set up at Petit Stade, Amahoro National Stadium. Testing will be done by appointment.
- The cost of the Covid-19 test for the domestic market (Rwandans and Foreign Residents) will be included in the parks’ permit prices.
Best Time for Gorilla Trekking in Rwanda
The best time of the year to go for Rwanda gorilla tours is during the long and short dry seasons. The long dry season in Rwanda runs between June to September. This is also the peak season when many tourists visit the country for gorilla tours and therefore making early bookings is very important. During this time, the rains are less, and apparently getting to the park and hiking the trails is easier as the hiking trails are not muddy and slippery. During this period there are fewer chances of rain which makes the gorilla trekking experience easier and memorable.
Rwanda’s short dry season is from December to February. The short dry season is also a good time for trekking the endangered mountain gorillas in Volcanoes National Park. During this time, the park tends to be less crowded than during the long dry season. In this season, the trails are also easy to access and also great for birding safaris since migratory birds are present during this time.
Rwanda gorilla trekking age limit is 15 years minimum age and children below the age of 15 are not allowed to trek gorillas in Rwanda. To trek a habituated gorilla family in Rwanda, an individual must be of the required or recommended minimum age and above.
Rwanda Gorilla Permit Cost
One of the most important travel information for first-time travelers. Each Rwanda gorilla permit cost is US$1,500. A Rwanda gorilla permit is a document issued to any client who needs to go gorilla trekking. It is only after purchasing a gorilla permit that a person above 15 can be allowed to trek gorillas in Rwanda. Each person has to present a Rwanda gorilla permit at the park headquarters to be allocated a desired or random gorilla family to trek.
To have Rwanda gorilla tours in 2021, take the opportunity to book with Jewel Safaris and have a well-trained tour guide help you through your trip. Tours range from luxury to mid-range and budget. We also plan 2021 gorilla trekking safaris in Uganda and Congo.