Nyungwe Forest National Park Rwanda, Activities & Attractions
Nyungwe National Park is found far in the Southern province of Rwanda bordering Burundi in the South and lake Kivu alongside Democratic Republic of Congo in the West. According to Rwanda historians, the park was created in 2004, covering over 960 square kilometers in size with the beauty of bamboo, swamps and grassland of the area. Nyungwe forest has currently reached over 3000 meters above sea level, incredible to see in any place in Africa and the world at large.
What are the unique activities Nyungwe National Park
- Bird viewing
- Chimpanzee trekking in Nyungwe Forest National Park
- Canopy walk
World life matchless species at Nyungwe Forest National Park?
In Nyungwe Forest National Park Rwanda you get to see over 10 different species of wildlife including; 270 bird species,1000 plants of different types, 80 species of mammals making the place so beautiful and good for safari tours.
Which major unique activities take place at Nyungwe national park?
- Are you able to hike Junoesque volcanoes?
The volcano hiking is done at the peaks of Bisoke, Sabinyo, Gahinga, Muhabura and Karisimbi found in Musanze region. The hiking activities involve camping, mountain walk to mount Bisoke almost to the border of Rwanda and DR Congo.
There aren’t too many places in the world where volcano hiking can be accomplished over a weekend. The dormant volcanic peaks of Bisoke, Sabinyo, Gahinga, Muhabura, and Karisimbi all create a stunning natural skyline in the Musanze Region. Day hikes are easy to organize, as are multiple-day hikes that involve camping outside overnight before continuing to the top the next morning. For a moderate morning trek, check out Mount Bisoke, an extinct volcano with a crater lake at the top that straddles Rwanda and the Democratic Republic of Congo.
- Would you go for an inimitable Gorilla tracking?
Gorilla tracking is the most remarkable activity carried out at Virunga mountains. The park is bordered by Uganda and Democratic Republic of Congo where both countries share some parts of the area. Over 900 gorillas found in this place make Rwanda magnificent place for gorilla tracking.
- Do you like resplendent camping on Lake Burera?
At Muhabura volcano, you find the twin lakes of Ruhondo and Burera covered with beautiful blue waters with more hills surrounding the area where one can spend a night or a weekend. Camping is mostly organized at lake Burera and Ruhondo where visitors are able to view the beautiful natural environment and sound which beautifies your day and night.
- Do you enjoy the peerless Canopy Walkway?
The canopy walkway from Uwinka is 160 long and 70m high on the bridge along the Igishigishi ,Imraga and Umuyove trails. Visitors get to see over thirteen species including beautiful butterflies, colourful birds and others. However, for one to visit the place must have a travel permit issued before 72 hours.
- Have you ever enjoyed incomparable Colobus monkey trekking?
Nyungwe forest has over 13 species but most of them are monkeys. Some monkeys found in this place are colobus monkeys, L’hoest monkeys, owl faced monkeys, blue monkeys and Mona monkeys. Still at this place visitors get to see the 200 Ruwenzori colobus monkeys at once which beauties the place.
- The Nyungwe unparalleled forest bird walk
Nyungwe national park is blessed with over 310 bird species from Albertine rift into the forest. Visitors get to see great blue turaco which is rare in Africa, the Re-throated Alethe, Paradise flycatcher and gigantic forest hornbill. They also view Purple Breasted sunBird, Green francoin, Rwenzori baits, Stripe breasted tit and regal sunbird.
There are different designed trails in the park where visitors are likely to see beautiful birds of different types and behaviors which are rarely seen in Africa and the world at large.
When is the Best time visit the unmatched Nyungwe national park?
Nyungwe national park receives rains every year with over 2,00mm per year and only little dry season which kicks off in June to September. During June, July and August its rainy season where temperature gets to an average of 21C/70f equivalent to 10c/59f at night. In September, the dry season ends and it starts raining but the temperatures don’t change.
However, in the months of October, November, December, January and February it rains much and so you are advised to prepare rain jackets, gumboots, and all kinds of warm clothing for cold and evening regardless of when you plan to visit the park.
How does it cost to visit resplendent Nyungwe National park?
Glorious Chimpanzee trekking
- Foreign not residents valued@ 90 US dollars
- Foreigners valued@60 US dollars
- Rwandans firstname.lastname@example.orgRwf
- Citizens from EAC valued@10 US dollar
- Rwanda citizen students valued@ 25,00rwf
- Students of EAC pay 5 US dollars
- Foreign students who are residents valued@30 US dollars
Nyungwe national park has different packages for over 13 species including Agola and white colobus monkeys which entertains the visitors.
- Here the visitors are charged differently but at a very low cost compared to other tourist destinations as see below;
- Non foreign residents valued@60 us dollars
- Foreign residents valued@ 40 dollars
- Residents within Rwanda valued@ 1,500rwf
- Residents from EAC valued@10 dollars per person
- Students from EAC valued@30 dollars
- Foreign students valued@ 208 dollars
Exquisite Walking in the forest fee?
- Foreign students valued@40 dollars per person
- Foreigners valued@ 30 dollars per person
- Residents in Rwanda valued@ 3000 Rwf per person
- National from EAC valued@30 dollars per person
- EAC students valued@30dollars per person
- Rwanda nationals valued@1500 Rwf per person
- Students who are foreigners valued@ 20 dollars per person
Watching magnificent birds’ fees?
- Foreign non residents mostly valued @60 dollars per person
- Rwanda residents valued @ 5000 Rwf per person
- Foreign residents valued@ 50 dollars
- National from EAC valued@ 10 dollars per person
- EAC students valued @50 dollars per person
- Students who are residents valued@ 5000 Rwf per person
- Foreign residents valued@ 5 dollars
- Students who are foreign residents valued@ 25 dollars per person
Exquisite Waterfall hike fee?
- Foreign non residents valued@100 dollars
- Foreign residents valued@ 70 dollars
- Rwanda national valued@ 10,000 Rwf per person
- National from EAC valued@ 20 dollars
- EAC foreign residents valued@70 dollars per person
- Rwanda students who are residents valued@5000rwf per person
- EAC students valued@10 dollars
- Students who are foreigners are valued@35 dollars per person.
How much for statuesque camping?
- Having you own tent is valued@ 30 dollars per night
- Visiting without a tent you are charged with 40 dollars per night with a tent.
How does filming for commercials cost?
- Filming chimpanzees is valued @ 100 dollars per group or person
- Filming other products, you are entitled @ 6000 dollars per day.
- However, all visitors noticed that primitive tracking is only allowed for pupils above 16 years of age.
Seven years  age and below are not allowed to pay any single coin or shillings either in dollars excluding graduated students from the category of students, they’re entitled to pay a normal fee as citizens or non-citizen of Rwanda.
Which elegant accommodations are near Nyungwe national park?
- Nyungwe Top view Hotel, located just 5.1kilometers at Luhonge as you coming from the park. The hotel has nice foods, beautiful rooms foo accommodation, with free Wi-Fi and big and secure space for parking.
- Nyungwe Nziza Ecolodge – as you come from the park, it is 14.2 kilometers, with better accommodation, restaurant and bar at an affordable rate.
- Nyungwe House – it is found at Rwumba 1.5 kilometers from the famous Genocide memorial. Just 3.6 kilometers from the hotel, there’s Karamba hiking trail which is commonly attended by many visitors both local and foreign.
- Rwiza village – located in Kigali city just 45.7 kilometers from Nyungwe national park.it has good services including accommodation, bar, restaurant and lounge with free Wi-Fi.
- Macheo Ecolodge Camping – located 37 kilometers in Mukura forest rerserve.it has restaurant, bar and accommodation at fair price rates.
How do you reach splendid Nyungwe national park?
You fly from your destination to Kigali capital mostly by Rwandair, Emirates, Turkish and others. From Kigali you can board local flights to Goma airport and take road means where Nyungwe national Park is just few hours to the airport
Nyungwe National park Safari packages
- The great ape package.
- Virunga expeditions.
- Rutshuru expeditions.