Facts about Mountain Gorillas: Everything to Learn about Gorillas : Mountain gorillas are one of the world’s endangered animals and half of the world’s population can be found in Mgahinga Gorilla National Park and Bwindi Impenetrable Forest National Park situated in South Western Uganda.
There are two species of gorillas in Africa, the Eastern and Western Gorillas. The mountain gorillas of Uganda are a subspecies of the Eastern gorillas living in high-altitude montane areas.
Facts and characteristics of Mountain Gorillas.
- Gorillas share human DNA by 98.3% with humans making them our immediate relatives after chimpanzees
- Mountain Gorillas are the world’s largest primates, with a male gorilla weighing an average of 136kg – 230kg and females weighing half of the male’s weight.
- Mountain gorillas are mainly vegetarian and feed on roots, fruits, leafy plants, though western lowland gorillas also eat small insects.
- A mountain gorilla lives up to 35 years in the wild, however living in captivity, they can live up to 50 years.
- Mountain Gorillas make nests from foliage comprised of leaves and branches.
- Did you know female gorillas have a gestation period of 9 months and give birth to only three to four babies in total. Baby gorillas as known as infants just like in humans.
- Mountain gorillas live in groups of 10 – 40 individuals with a dominant male silverback.
Requirements/ what to pack for gorilla tracking
- Travelers should make sure to carry with them;
- A gorilla permit that can be secured for you by a trusted tour company like Jewel Safaris.
- Long sleeved shirts, jackets, water proof trousers. These will protect you from insects, getting wet and getting scratched by the tree branches.
- Hiking boots are comfortable and good for the muddy and slippery trails during the rainy season but also good for the hilly areas.
- Sun glasses and a hat to protect you from the sun rays.
- Binoculars to enable you view some of the other animals and bird species in the park.
- Packed lunch and drinking water. Gorilla trekking may take about 8 hours and this can be very exhausting. Tourists are advised to pack snacks/food before they set off for the trek.
Uganda Gorilla safari packages