Nyungwe Forest National Park tour
Nyungwe Forest National Park tour is a captivating safari around the park which is located in southwestern Rwanda. Covering an expansive area of approximately 1,019 square kilometres (393 square miles),
the park is a haven of lush rainforests, mist-covered mountains, and breathtaking landscapes. It is regarded as one of the oldest and most pristine rainforests in Africa, dating back to the last Ice Age.
This biodiverse paradise is home to a remarkable array of flora and fauna, making it an ideal destination for nature enthusiasts and wildlife lovers.
The park’s dense forest shelters over 13 species of primates, including the endangered chimpanzees and large troops of black-and-white colobus monkeys. It is also a haven for birdwatchers, with over 300 bird species, including numerous endemic and rare species.
Nyungwe Forest National Park offers a range of thrilling activities that allow visitors to immerse themselves in its natural wonders.
Trekking through the forest to observe chimpanzees and other primates is a highlight, as is the chance to traverse the treetops on East Africa’s only canopy walkway, offering awe-inspiring views.
Guided nature walks, birdwatching expeditions, and visits to mesmerizing waterfalls are among the other captivating experiences available.
Beyond its natural wonders, Nyungwe Forest National Park is situated in a region rich in cultural heritage. The Park is surrounded by vibrant communities that have preserved their traditional customs and rituals.
Engaging in cultural encounters with the local people provides a unique opportunity to delve into the region’s rich cultural tapestry.
Nyungwe Forest National Park is a sanctuary of tranquillity and natural beauty, offering a unique and immersive experience in the heart of Africa. Whether you seek adventure, wildlife encounters, or a peaceful retreat into nature, this park promises an unforgettable journey filled with captivating sights, sounds, and discoveries.
Activities to do in Nyungwe forest national park
Here are some key highlights and activities you can experience:
- Chimpanzee Trekking: Nyungwe Forest is home to a large population of chimpanzees. Embark on a guided chimpanzee trekking adventure to observe these fascinating primates in their natural habitat. It’s an incredible opportunity to witness their behaviour and learn about their conservation.
- Canopy Walk: Nyungwe Forest boasts East Africa’s only canopy walkway. Suspended high above the forest floor, this walkway offers breathtaking views of the treetops, wildlife, and surrounding landscapes. It’s an exhilarating experience that shouldn’t be missed.
- Bird Watching: With over 300 bird species, Nyungwe Forest is a paradise for bird enthusiasts. Take a bird-watching tour with a knowledgeable guide who can help you spot various species, including the Albertine Rift endemics such as the Rwenzori Turaco and Grauer’s Rush Warbler.
- Nature Walks and Hiking: Explore the diverse ecosystems of Nyungwe Forest through guided nature walks and hiking trails. Discover lush greenery, sparkling waterfalls, and encounter unique flora and fauna along the way. The Park offers trails of varying difficulty levels, ensuring there’s something suitable for everyone.
- Colobus Monkey Tracking: Nyungwe is renowned for its population of black-and-white colobus monkeys. Participate in a colobus monkey tracking experience, where you can observe these striking primates up close. It’s an incredible opportunity to witness their acrobatic movements and capture memorable photographs.
- Cultural Encounters: Nyungwe Forest National Park is surrounded by communities that have fascinating cultural traditions. Consider visiting local villages and engaging in cultural experiences, such as traditional dances, drumming performances, and interactions with the local people. It provides a deeper understanding of the region’s heritage and traditions.
- Waterfall Visits: Nyungwe Forest is home to several stunning waterfalls, including the impressive Kitabi, Gisakura, and Kamiranzovu waterfalls. Take the time to visit these natural wonders and enjoy the serene surroundings. Some waterfalls offer picnic spots where you can relax and soak in the beauty of the park.
It’s important to note that some activities, such as chimpanzee trekking, may require permits and advanced booking.
It’s recommended to plan your visit in advance and check with the park authorities or tour operators for availability and any necessary requirements.
Enjoy your tour of Nyungwe Forest National Park, and have a wonderful time exploring its remarkable biodiversity and natural wonders!
Accommodations in and around Nyungwe Forest National Park
Here are some accommodations in and around Nyungwe Forest National Park:
- Nyungwe Forest Lodge: Located within the park, Nyungwe Forest Lodge offers luxury accommodation with stunning views of the rainforest. The lodge features spacious rooms, a restaurant, a bar, a spa, and a swimming pool. It provides guided activities such as chimpanzee tracking and birdwatching.
- One&Only Nyungwe House: Situated on the outskirts of the park, One&Only Nyungwe House offers a luxurious and secluded retreat. The lodge provides elegant rooms and suites, a spa, a restaurant, and a bar. Guests can enjoy activities such as forest walks, birdwatching, and cultural encounters.
- Gisakura Guest House: Located near the park entrance, Gisakura Guest House offers affordable accommodation options. It provides comfortable rooms, a restaurant serving local cuisine, and basic amenities. The guest house is a convenient base for exploring the park.
- Nyungwe Nziza Eco Lodge: Situated in the nearby village of Kitabi, Nyungwe Nziza Eco Lodge offers budget-friendly accommodation. The lodge provides comfortable rooms, a restaurant, and organizes activities such as guided forest walks and birdwatching.
- Peace Guest House: Located in the town of Gisakura, Peace Guest House offers simple and affordable rooms. It has a restaurant and provides a convenient base for exploring Nyungwe Forest National Park.
- Top View Hill Hotel: Situated in the town of Gisakura, Top View Hill Hotel offers comfortable rooms with beautiful views of the surrounding landscapes. The hotel features a restaurant, a bar, and a terrace where guests can relax and enjoy the scenery.
- Emeraude Kivu Resort: Located on the shores of Lake Kivu, this resort is a scenic retreat near Nyungwe Forest National Park. It offers well-appointed rooms, a restaurant serving a variety of cuisines, a swimming pool, and outdoor activities such as boat rides and kayaking.
- East African Jungle Safaris Lodge: Situated in the nearby town of Cyangugu, this lodge provides cozy rooms with modern amenities. The lodge offers a restaurant, a bar, and can arrange activities such as forest walks, birdwatching, and community visits.
- Kitabi Eco-Centre: Located close to the park entrance, Kitabi Eco-Centre offers comfortable accommodation options with a focus on sustainability. The Centre features cottages and dormitory-style rooms, a restaurant, and organizes guided nature walks and birdwatching tours.
- Airbnb and Guesthouses: In addition to the mentioned lodges, there are also private guesthouses and Airbnb options available in nearby towns such as Gisakura and Cyangugu. These provide a range of accommodations, including private rooms or entire houses/apartments, and offer opportunities to connect with local communities.
Remember to check the availability, facilities, and services of each accommodation, and consider factors such as location, budget, and personal preferences when making your choice.
It’s advisable to book your accommodations in advance, especially during peak tourist seasons, to ensure availability and a comfortable stay during your visit to Nyungwe Forest National Park.
It’s important to note that availability, amenities, and services may vary among accommodations. It’s advisable to check with the respective lodges for up-to-date information, make reservations in advance, and consider your specific preferences and budget when choosing accommodation options.